KIpolis, a forum for the Kangaroo Island community
A site with informations of potential interest to visitors and members of the community
The photo above shows Pelican Lagoon and Prospect Hill, with the Southern Ocean on the horizon, as well as the harbour of American River, first called Port des Pélicans in January 1803 by French explorer Nicolas Baudin, who had accomplished the first circumnavigation of the island. The big trees are sugar gums, Eucalyptus cladocalyx, and the flying bird is a rare glossy-black red-tailed cockatoo, Calyptorhynchus lathami halmaturinus, dependent on these trees for its nesting. (photo G. Bittar)
polis means ‘city, community’ in Greek — in the ancient days, politics wasn’t yet a tainted word.
Basic rules for this website:
- the information should be of public interest and/or educational
- it should not be easily available elsewhere
- no place for trivia
- principles of freedom of expression and of information apply
- opinions to be expressed within the confines of reason
- no blatant lies, defamation or libelling (public figures, out of necessity, are more exposed)
- no calls for or apology of cruelty or violence towards sentient beings
- no display of hatred or bigotry
- no foul language
- texts to be checked for grammar and spelling by the writer/sender… please…
You may submit texts by emailing them to KIpolisATinternodeDOTonDOTnet (“AT” means “@” and “DOT” means “.”), preferably within the body of your email please, and preferably in .txt, .rtf. or .doc format if as an attached document (avoid .pdf please). Or you may use the reply form at the bottom of this page or posts.
This is all tentative and evolving. For the moment it’s kept very simple in its objective and its structure. Let’s see how it goes.